Besides observing Italians and writing RIVETING blog posts, I've also been doing other things! I was in a hotel for a week and found an apartment during this time. I saw 7 apartments, but ended up being picked for the second one I saw (yes, being picked--this was basically a competition). The apartment I'm in now was my very 1st choice and I LOVE IT! My room is HUGE (see pic below), my roommates are fabulous and the location is prime (although loud). I live with three Italian law students and a French girl. This week they have exams, so I haven't been able to get to know all of them too well, but I think we're doing a dinner altogether when they're done and I have been asked to make a cheesecake.
I've also been eating a lot, but have yet to gain 203958049 pounds...maybe that Italian magic is rubbing off on me ;) The food here is outstanding and not just prepared dishes. The produce tastes like it's supposed to. Carrots taste like midwest carrots on flavor steroids, but of course they're not on steroids. In fact, they aren't genetically modified or mass-produced, they're just grown simply and they're amazing. I've been going to a street market lately and buying ingredients to make a sandwich, the prosciutto, formaggio, pane e verdure. One of my taller friends hit his head on a hanging prosciutto in one of the shops, I guess 6-foot+ people aren't too common here so low-hanging prosciutto is okay.
I've been drinking well...and not a lot. Which is a little different from wisco, but definitely tastes better. One thing that is very common here is the "Spritz", which I'm tryin' to being back to the Nitty Gritty;)! It's sparkling white wine, an orange, sparkling water and something called "Aperol" which for lack of a better explanation, is a mixture of alcoholic grenadine and bitters.
Gorgeous pics! And your room is so lovely!! Looks a bit like the room I had in Palermo, only much much bigger and less cluttered. :)
ReplyDelete